Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Journey to Japan



We arrived in Japan days ago. Originally, I thought that I would be blogging everyday, but I quickly realized  that it was just not going to happen. Not only is it hard to find the time, the words have just not wanted to come out. I see myself writing more when I leave, than I can while I am here.  I can not fully put into words what we have experienced here. One day they may come, but for now...I can only say "emotional".

 On our first day here, we took a trip into Taiji. The slaughter was done for the day, so we were just getting a tour. As we got close, and I could see the whale statue, my heart sank. Although I had never been here, it seemed as though I had. Everything was so familiar. As we crossed dolphin bridge, then passed Dolphin Resort, I could feel the emotions building inside. I did my best to hide them and listened to the conversation going on.  When we got to The Cove, I truly felt ill. We handled a few things and walked over to get a look.  I could not help but think of the Risso's dolphins that were slaughtered just hours before there. I felt an overwhelming amount of sadness.

 The next two days were good days. Although the boats went out, and they found dolphins both days, they gave up and the pods were able to live their lives happy and free. I have to say, there are no words to express the excitement one gets to see that last boat returning to the Harbor empty handed. Knowing that for that day, no dolphin will be harmed...it's a great feeling.

The Texas Crew
   The love and support we have received since we have been here has been overwhelming. From our family, our friends, the AR community, and complete strangers. Eric and I would like to "Thank You" all for that. But, I would also like to say something... We are not heroes, we are not amazing...we are just two people who are doing what needs to be done. There have been many people from all over the world who have done what we have done, and there will be many after us. We will not stop coming to Taiji until the slaughter ends. If you think those of us are heroes or you want to "Thank Us", there is a very simple way to do so.

1. Pick up the phone and call the Japanese Embassy nearest you. Fax them....e-mail them...whatever works best for you! Do this everyday. Do not wait till the boats go out...Or until they have a pod... just make it part of your day...every day.

2. Watch The Cove. If you already have...share it with your friends. Tell everyone you know about what these dolphins endure. Have a Cove watching party at your house. Do what ever you have to do to get the word out.

3. Do NOT buy a ticket to a dolphin show!

4. Think about what you can do to get yourself to Taiji. More people are needed on the ground here. If you can not make it this year, start saving for later on, if needed. I know the thought of coming here is overwhelming. I know people work and have responsibilities. But if you can make it happen, it would be wonderful.

We would like to send a shout out to the wonderful Save Misty the Dolphin Community. Your love and support has been amazing. Thank you for all your hard work and all you do. Never give up, you never know what tomorrow brings! :)

3 comments:

  1. Long before you ever got to Taiji you guys were my heroes...for always, always speaking the truth and for doing what you go - STANDING UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! Now that you are shining a light on the horrors of the slaughter & captivity of Taiji, you aren't just heroes, you are SUPER HEROES! Accept it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have started saving for Taiji - hoping that when i have enough funds to make the trip, I can use them for other rescue needs because there is no more need for dolphin protectors there.

    Will keep the hope alive

    ReplyDelete